Removeable package shelf for pre-97 club cabs

From: Mark Seagondollar (segndolr@us.ibm.com)
Date: Tue Jul 08 1997 - 16:40:41 EDT

Since I got one request for the info, I will assume there will be 10 others
(now & later) that may want this.

The way the back rest for the rear "seat" in the pre-97 club cabs is made,
prompted me to make a rear package shelf that is simple to fabricate. I
started with what I had remaining from a 1/2" sheet of plywood cut to the
approximate dimensions of the rear of the cab (I don't remember what they are,
but if you can't run a tape measure yourself, you don't need to try this
anyhow.) Not too tight on the clearance, because the gray carpet automotive
carpet that I got from WalMart is glued to the top, wrapped over all four
edges, and glued to edges & bottoms. Subsequent load testing with the dogs
(approx. 60 lb. considering a Westie and a Scottie that has chunked out to 35
lb.) drove me to screw & glue a 2"x 2" rib across the front a couple inches
back on the bottom. From groceries, etc. sliding off, I would put on the front
edge, now. I also have a vertical 1"x 2" strut that gets wedged in between the
two bottom cushions and just sits under the bottom of the shelf. I normally
keep a sheet over the carpet that prevents doggy foot prints and drapes in
front of the area under the shelf, providing me an out of sight, out of mind
storage area. You could put woofer inclosures under it, too (SPEAKERS - spare
me the dog jokes). The whole thing is removable, so the rear seat is usable in
a crunch (which is about what it is good for anyway) and the only drawback is a
little sag in the back rest and the dog nose prints on the inside of the rear
glass. But the dogs love the view and air-conditioning in the summer. If you
plan it better than I did, you will be able to recline the seats more, too.
But then, you might not have the seats keeping the shelf from sliding forward.
No warranties offered or implied. Good luck, enjoy if you get it right.