Re: Open Element filter install

From: Sean Meldrum (spm@c3net.net)
Date: Tue Jul 08 1997 - 21:40:23 EDT

At 09:41 AM 7/8/97 -0600, you wrote:

        Check between the questions for the replies:

> I just installed an open element filter ( Edelbrock 1208, 10 inch air
>cleaner ). I've got a few observations/questions.
>
> 1). I don't get the 'S-Bar' thing that some users say you need.
> What was that for?

        I believe someone already posted why it's a good idea to get rid of the
bracket. I myself gained nearly 50hp with the S-bolt mod! ;^) Really all
you need is some 1/4-20 threaded rod. The offset is 7/8". Just make sure
you have enough length to have at least a 1/2 to 3/4" in the throttle body
and a 1/4" to 1/2" out the top of the air cleaner. I personally prefer a
2" 1/4-20 u-bolt. I don't have a vise so I use two pair of pliers or
vice-grips and the unthreaded center section hold up a bit better to the
bending back and forth. Trust me on this one. ;^)

> 2). I removed the bracket with the tie-down bolt, removed the tie-down
> bolt, replaced it with a 1 inch longer bolt and replaced the
> bracket.

        This'll work just fine. I ran this way for two weeks.

> 3). I bought some liquid gasket stuff, thinking I needed to add a
> gasket seal on the air cleaner, but it wasn't needed. The gasket
> on the throttle unit worked just fine.

        Yep.

> 4). I went to 3 different auto parts stores. No one had the emission
> hose that was needed to connect up the air cleaner to the engine.
> I used heater hose and 2 hose clamps. Is heater hose ok... or
> do I need to do some more searching for the correct hose? The heater
> hose doesn't make the bend very good... but it's not blocked, so
> I guess it's ok.

        Heater hose is fine. The emissions hose is just more flexible as it
doesn't need the reinforcement that the heater hose does. If you've got no
kinks yer fine.

> 5). I'm using the paper air cleaner that came with the air cleaner.
> I plan on replacing it with a K&N filter. Hows the best way
> to figure out how high it can be? My bolt is 1 inch higher
> than the original bolt. When I close the hood, there is no
> impression in the hood blanket. Can I just assume that a 3 inch
> air cleaner is going to work? Does anyone know how to figure
> out the clearance when the hood is down?

        The Play-Doh idea was great, Jon. Ever done piston to valve clearance
checks? ;^) Another quick option is to grap a handful of sockets. Place
continually taller sockets on the air cleaner one at a time until you bump
the pad (if you have it). Back off a couple and yer good. The e-1080 was
chosen as it has more than enough clearance and still offers more than 10
addtional sq. in. of surface area than the stock panel filter. Check out
http://www.geocities.com/MotorCity/Downs/7875/fabm.html for a list of
filter p/n's and their respective heights. E-1065 works as well but bumps
the pad. Not sure on the height.

Hope this helps.
*******************************97 Dakota Sport*******************************
  sean meldrum

                  Work: sean_p_meldrum@auto.ittind.com

Homepage: http://www.geocities.com/MotorCity/Downs/7875/

 Black, 318, 5spd, 3.55SG, reg. cab, 2wd, buckets
"Fresh air by Meldrum"
All exterior vinyl graphics removed
Moroso Blue Max plug wires and Spectre looms
DynoMax Race Magnum Welded. 3" in/out, exiting before axle.
MSD 6a, Blaster coil awaiting installation
****