New MSD

From: Dakota (acasey@mail.io.com)
Date: Tue Jul 15 1997 - 19:30:39 EDT

   Well I finally got my MSD 6a back last night. If ya'll remember
mined went out about 3 weeks ago before I went to the Texas
Motorplex drag races. Anyway, I had asked them in a letter I
submitted with the unit to let me know what happened to it and if
there was anything I could do to prevent it from happening again, ie.
if possibly it got too hot?
   Of course there was no response, just a brand new 6a. So I called
them today and asked if they could look up my ticket and tell me what
I had asked for in the letter. So the tech guy looked it up, and all
he could tell me was that it was marked economically unrepairable,
therefore I got a brand new one. So I asked if anyone could tell me
what causes an "economically unrepairable" breakdown in an MSD. He
claims that changes in current or voltage, (spikes, or drops) is the
most common cause. He then asked if I had wired my power leads (the
big red and black) to the alternator, which of course I had per
instructions from Jules. He said that was not a good idea. I should
go directly to the battery, or starter. I also asked if the engine
heat was a problem since the MSD was mounted above the distributor on
the firewall, a pretty hot location. He said no, that heat does not
seem to bother the units much, unless scorched.
  So I guess I will run the leads directly to the Battery from now on
and see what happens. I'll just screw the new MSD right to the
same holes the old one came out of and be back in business.

  I must admit, there not speedy but at least MSD took care of me, no
hassle, of course its does not hurt that it was still under warranty.
 If not I would have had to buy a new one.

Alan...