Re: Clunking: Front right

From: jaallis (jaallis@ibm.net)
Date: Wed Jul 16 1997 - 15:18:28 EDT

John D. Emery wrote:

> Since I got my 95 CC Sport V-6 2x4 almost 3 years ago (42Km), I have
> noticed a "clunking" noise from what seems to be the front right
> suspension. It happens occasionally on right hand turns involving a bump
> in the turn. I have inspected and checked and lubed, but have found no
> cause to date. Some things that do not seem normal: Camber is too positive
> (outboard wear on tires) on both front wheels, Front right tire (P215/70R15
> Stock) rub top of wheel well before the bump stop hits. When I mentioned
> this noise to the Service Advisor on my one and only visit to a Dodge
> Service Center, he stated that he had heard of the noise from other
> complaints, but was unable to ever recreate it. He also stated that there
> was a TSB coming out on it. Anyone heard of it? I could not seem to find
> a mention of this noise on the web, so I thought someone on this list might
> have experienced it.
>
> Another front suspension question: is there a way to raise the front
> suspension on a 2x4 DAK? I am only looking for a 2" - 3" lift. The rear
> is easy, but I have not seen anything for the front. BTW: what are the
> largest tires that I could put on the stock Sport rims and still fit a 2"
> lifted DAK 2x4?
>
> John
> 95 V6 2x4 CC, 5sp SG, Stock (so far!)
> Phoenix, AZ (and no A/C!)
> John D. Emery
> Technical Director
> Actors Theatre of Phoenix

Hi John
         Your post sounds like my recent drive. I have a 94 Sport V-6 that
also had the clunk. I am also in the process of lifting it and I live
in Gilbert. I spent two years and 10 visits to Earnhardts before I
finally got it fixed. They had it so much I made them make a payment.
After all was said and done they had to replace the front coils and
lower control arms with V-8 parts. That was over a year ago and I
haven't heard the noise since.
        As far as increased height, I am going to purchase custom coils from
Fabtech. They build prerunners. The coils will be 249.95 for 2"-2.5".
I'll probably order mine this week, wonder if the price goes down on
multiple sets. The front shocks will also need to be replaced along
with shorter bump stops. I'm also going to get a 2" Body lift so that I
can run 31" tires. You can contact Greg from Fabtech at
FTmtrsprts@aol.com. Feel free to contact me directly as I've spent the
last few monthes researching parts for the V-6 Dakota.

Later Jay
94 Sport sc sb V6 K&N drop-in with modified stock housing