Re: Fresh Air By Meldrum

From: Sean Meldrum (spm@c3net.net)
Date: Sun Jul 20 1997 - 02:07:27 EDT

At 08:45 PM 7/19/97 -0700, you wrote:
>Following Sean Meldrum's FABM, I bought the "Edelbrock Signature Series 10"
>diameter cleaner P/N 1208" and fabricated the "S" bolt. I still have the
>filter that came with the air cleaner. I will get an K&N as soon as I can
>find one. I have only found a few in my initial search here in central
>California .. nothing that I thought I could use. I _did_ find one .. P/N
>E-1065. This isn't listed by Sean on his FABM page. I *think* that it
>measured 10 x 3.00 .. I'm heading back tomorrow to check. (150 mile round
>trip to Salinas California - If nothing else, I can catch "Contact"). Sean
>lists a E-1120 as being 10 x 3.00. By-the-bye ... I used the "sockets on
>top of the air cleaner .. close hood .. crank engine to check interference"
>suggested by someone .. and I can use the 3" filter on my 95.
>
>I measured the Edelbrock air cleaner .. it actually has a 9 3/4" dia
>(inside=filter). Anyone know if the K&N filters are _actually_ 10" or they
>~ the 9 3/4" dia? ... Sean didn't say anything about "Squishing" the K&N.
>
>I was with a friend today when he picked up a K&N for his 97 Dakota ..
>stock filter location (special order) from a 4w drive shop. The shop quoted
>me $320 to walk out with the Gibson cat-back .. and another $100 for the
>installation. $420 total cost ... made me blink ... I'm going to check
>around .. that's for sure!

E-1065 should fit. I know it fits in the Pro-Form air cleaner. The e1065
is a stock replacement for a 4.3 tbi S-10. I've seen this one in a '97 and
its a snug fit. Shouldn't be a problem on your '95 though.

It *is* a squish fit on initial assembly. Provides a very airtight seal
though and after awhile the filter will learn its shape. I've pulled the
filter assm. a few times and filter and lid just drop right in now.

*******************************97 Dakota Sport*******************************
  sean meldrum

                  Work: sean_p_meldrum@auto.ittind.com

Homepage: http://www.geocities.com/MotorCity/Downs/7875/

 Black, 318, 5spd, 3.55SG, reg. cab, 2wd, buckets
"Fresh air by Meldrum"
All exterior vinyl graphics removed
Moroso Blue Max plug wires and Spectre looms
DynoMax Race Magnum Welded. 3" in/out, exiting before axle.
MSD 6A & Blaster 2 coil w/ chrome cover
****