magnets

From: John D. Emery (johnemery@mindspring.com)
Date: Mon Jul 21 1997 - 18:52:08 EDT

This past weekend I finally got around to changing the tranny and diff
fluids, and I thought I would pass on a couple of things I noticed.
On the 5 speed transmission (AX 15), the oil drain bolt has a magnet
attached to the center of it. It is identical to the fill bolt, with the
magnet being the only difference. If you have them both out at the same
time, make sure you put the right one in the right hole, and not the bolt
that happens to be closer (don't ask!)
The 8 1/4" differential housing has a small flat rectangular magnet inside
on the bottom. I woould have missed it, but when I was wiping out the
remaining oil, I felt something covered in gunk.
My only question is why didn't Dodge use a magnet on the engine oil drain
bolt? Where can I buy one?
While I was under the truck, I sealed the leak from the spedo sensor with
just a bit of form-a-gasket. I also noticed another oil leak from the rear
of the tranny. Anyone else experience this? How tough is it to replace
the rear tranny seal?

John Emery
1995 Dakota Ext. Cab, Sport, 2x4, V-6, 5 spd, 3.55 SG, 4wABS,42k
Phoenix, AZ (and no A/C)