Re: Your Ideas

From: Sam Parthemer (samp@cts.com)
Date: Mon Jul 28 1997 - 23:09:36 EDT

> Another data point here. I haven't had good luck with Pioneer CD
> receivers. I put a model DEH-880 in my 93 CC V8 4x4 in the spring of
> 93. This was the standard DIN size and had about a 25 watt x4 amp built
> in. I also replace the 4 stock speakers with Pioneer speakers. The
> sound was very good compared to stock, but near the 1 year warranty
> expiration on the CD player, it started skipping for no apparent reason
> at highway speeds. I took it in to get fixed, and they replace a $12
> holder (?). It then seemed OK for a few months, but when I finally took

        Too funny. I have the same radio. I bought mine in April of '92, and
1 month after I bought it the thing would ski-ip-ip-ip-ip-ip-ip like crazy,
so I
took it back. Got another one. 2 months later the tuner died, and I could
only
play CD's. I took it back too. The next one lasted 3 months, then started
put TONS of static on the speakers. I went to have it replaced, but no
DEH-880's could be found at Circut City. Seems their entire supply up in
Los Angeles was lost in the 'RIOTS'. Circut City wanted to apply the
original
cost towards another player. But the only one close to features was the
Alpine unit, no remote, and $125.00 more. I wanted the same Pioneer
unit. They found one in San Bernadino, CA. and had it shipped to my
nearest
store. I've the same unit ever since.

> a long trip again, it still skipped. I talked to a Pioneer dealer, and
> he said that model and a few others from Pioneer had factory defects.
> He claimed the factory had used a lubricant on the suspension mechanism
> that evaporated over time. He then gave me an "irate customer" number
> to call, and Pioneer cut me a deal where they bought back the deck for
> its residual value and let me apply that to a new model at wholesale.
> So I got into a DEH-50DH (1.5 DIN size, 35watt x 4 amp built in,
> spectrum analyzer built in) for about $100. I thought that was OK since
> I now was about a full year out of warrantee on the old CD receiver.
>
> So, as this long story goes, about 1 year into my new deck, the thing
> starts having electrical glitches where it will suddenly start inserting
> what sounds like alternator whine over the music (both radio and CD)
> REALLY LOUD! There is really no warning, and when it does this it
> scares the crap out of me and any passengers. Power cycling the unit
> fixes it for a while. So, I am out of warrantee again with a faulty
> unit. I am scared to bring it in to get fixed since the only Pioneer
> repair facility around here has a very bad rep, and this problem is so
> intermittent that I'm sure they would say "No Trouble Found."
>
> One thing I did notice about my old receiver is that the CDs would come
> out almost too hot to touch. And the new one keeps them pretty toasty
> too. I suspect that the fairly highpower compact amp built in does not
> help the receiver's reliability and longevity.
>
> I'll be looking elsewhere for my next CD/receiver.

> Steven Connelly
> 93 Dakota, 4x4, CC, V8, Auto
> stevec@extendsys.com

        Check your ground wires on the case. It can cause the
noise you are describing. To date I have had mine for 5 years, and
recently
have had a few problems (wear and tear). The + volume button quit
internally,
and started to blast up to +30 on the volume level!!! I called Circut City
check my warranty... 2 years out of date, darn. Their repair policy was
$90.00 plus parts, 2-3 weeks turnaround. I made a couple of calls and
found a JVC/Pioneer Authorized repair place. $36.00 flat rate to replace
the switch (I opened up the face to determine if I could do it myself).
That
was 6 months ago, and now the - volume button is doing the same thing.
It still works, but occationally it will turn the volume down LOL :) I've
used
it for 140000+ miles, so it has served me well... I'll have it repaired if
it
needs it...

        BTW: My CD's don't really get hot, so it might have been something
weird with your particular deck. For my wife's car I used the stock
radio, and
bought a Alpine 6-disc CD changer. Works through the FM tuner, and uses
a wireless remote. I would recommend it to ANY looking for a CD player in
place
of the stock head unit. It's a snap to install, and leaves the dash in
'stock'
appearance to deter theives.

        Sam '95 SLT