FW: Your Idea's (LONG)

From: Ned Vogler (NVOGLER@rghosp.chime.org)
Date: Mon Jul 28 1997 - 13:57:00 EDT

Hi guys-

I've been sitting back the last few days, and just watching some of the
activity on the list. My general opinion on some of the discussions over
the last week is that although we all have the same truck, they are all
different in their own ways, and performance improvements that some show,
others might not. (and this is just from common sense) Another thing to
remember is that some of our members race their trucks regularly so top
end HP is their primary goal. Others of us (myself included) like to
have a daily driver with improved breathing, throttle response, sound,
etc.

Stan says:

>I don't recommend any version of the Performance throttle bodies at all.
>to what Jules has said...performance(ET) gains will not be seen without
>serious mods to your induction system(heads or extrude honing the
>intake).Believe me, I know...I spent the 450.00 dollars to prove this!

Jules also sez:

>the tbi is one of the easiest do-it-UR-self additions. they are
>homeruns in the driving range. i feel best results are with the fipk
>sanz install. being an 8.0 or a G Cherokee jeepas no fipk avail...

When I originally talked to Jules about some performance modifications
for my Dakota, I told him I was interested in improving the overall
performance of the truck, and in doing so, having an even better
possibility of increased performance once the Mopar Performance JTEC
(that is the new term for the '96 SBECs) was available. Basically, since
the JTEC wasn't available (and still isn't) when I talked to Jules, I
wanted to make some changes that would improve my truck's overall
performance, and would at the same time complement the performance gains
of the MP JTEC (when available). Jules and I discussed a package that
would improve engine breathing on both intake and exhaust (MPI SS TBI &
MPI FIPK-clone for intake, Gibson 3" Catback for exhaust), smooth out
idle and stumbling when cold (MSD 6AL, Blaster 3 Coil, brass cap & rotor,
Magnecor KV85 Competition plug wires, Autolite platinum plugs), and
enhance overall driveability and throttle response (all of the above but
esp. MPI SS TBI).

AT NO POINT did Jules tell me that the TBI I was buying was going to
increase any top end performance, or offer any gains in HP. What the TBI
*WILL* do is give 18-22 extra ft-lbs of torque, smooth out the idle, and
offer improved throttle response thru the entire RPM range. I agree
completely with Jon's statement that a lot of these modifications will
complement each other, and indeed, I am very pleased with the end result
of the package (at this point anyway, who knows what the true "end
result" will be :) I do not feel that Jules led me astray in any way
whatsoever. I feel that his knowledge with hot-rodding Dodge trucks is
second-to-none, and I trust his opinions and ideas. I think that Jules
works with his customers to find out what kind of performance gains they
want for their particular truck, and will custom-tailor a package for the
customer. Not only that, but he has always offered to be available for
any tech support or install issues encountered. I guess what I'm really
trying to say is YMMV but I've had nothing but good luck from the items
I've purchased from Magnum Performance!

Jon sez:
> Hmmm... That's strange. Another list member, (Ned Vogler) just got
>TBI from Jules and he said there was a huge difference. If I remember
>right, Ned was very happy with the performance increase. I'm not sure,
>but I *think* he may have said it was his most noticeable mod yet. Ned?

Yes, I think that's a valid assumption, but again, I think it also
complements the other modifications that I had done previously. Again, I
don't race my truck, so I don't have numbers in black-and-white to back
up my claims, but the truck *feels* much quicker, and definitely much
smoother! Here's my original message:

>I can hardly type this message I'm so excited... just got done
installing my Magnum >Peformance Super Street TBI w/Power Bridge, as well
as my MSD 6AL Ignition, and a >Blaster 3 Coil. YOWEE! This truck just
got a kick in the a$$!! (or is that a shot >in the arm?) It SCREAMS thru
the entire RPM range, especially from 1500-3000 rpms >where it used to be
a tad sluggish... It pulls HARD right up to redline, and >beyond... And
OH SO SMOOTH the whole time, no pings, no farts, no pops... nothing >but
POWER.... <arrhhh arhhh>!!

>YEEE HAAAA!! THANKS JULES!!!
>
>Hey MA MOPAR, where's my damn MP SBEC??? That'll make things even
better!!

>I seriously think that the overall combination of the FIPK-clone, the
Gibson >exhaust, the MSD ignition and coil, the competition wires, and
the MPI SS TBI, has >improved the performance of the truck AT LEAST as
much as the MP SBEC would do... >Heck, once I get that in there, it'll be
twice as good!! (please, MP, please!!) >Anyway, I told you guys I'd let
you know once I got the stuff installed, and I am >completely satisfied
with my purchase, actually way more satisfied than I thought! >Those of
you who ground your TBIs may see some performance gains, but with a
>professionally milled, polished, and coated piece (not to mention the
aircraft->quality fasteners, NICE!), it makes a heck of an improvement!!
 I highly recommend >it... Those of you who've already ordered TBIs from
Jules, start drooling, or drool >more!

Again, YMMV... I think that's what all of us need to remember about this
list, no one members postings should be taken as gospel, and *ALL* of the
postings need to be taken with a grain of salt. There's a million
different opinions, and ideas, and some may work for some, and not for
others. Apparently, the MPI TBI's do not work well in a *race*
application, however Jules' recommended it to me for a *street*
application... and for that, it works GREAT! (comments appreciated)

Ciao!

Ned Vogler
(nvogler@rghosp.chime.org)
'96 Dakota SLT V8 5-sp 4x4 Club Cab
Gibson 3" Catback Exhaust/MPI FIPK-clone/Magnecor KV85 wires
Brass Cap & Rotor/Autolite Platinums/Blaster 3 Coil
MSD 6AL Ignition & MPI Super Street TBI w/Power Bridge
http://www.geocities.com/MotorCity/9636/