Transgo Shiftkit MAX 1-2 Firmness

From: dmagnum@ccs.netside.com
Date: Mon Aug 04 1997 - 20:24:31 EDT

At 06:47 PM 8/4/97 -0500, you wrote:
>> Transgo Shift kit (1-2 Max Firm Shift)
>
>hey stan, can you tell me what was involved with removing the overdrive
>housing or just sliding it back to do the low reverse servo spring??. i did
>every transgo mod except that one on my shift kit and i wanna do it sooo
>bad.
>

>Jarrod
>

>Jarrod Pilone moparman@laker.net
>http://falcon.laker.net/moparman
>'97 Dakota CC Sport V8, Flowmaster, FIPK, Pilone Throttle Body, Transgo
>Shift Kit.
>'72 Dodge Demon, future 12 second 1/4 mile car

What's up Jarrod,

Let me just say it was not to hard but it was time consuming. First remove
the driveshaft. Loosen the
4 tranny crossmember and 2 tranny mounting bolts. Support the motor and
tranny by putting a jack with
a wooden block under the bell housing. Take out all the bolts and lift the
motor a little with the
jack. Remove the crossmember. Unplug all electronic sensors and move the
harness out of the way so
that it will not get pinched. remove the 8 (I Think) extension housing bolts
and carefully slide the
housing back around eight inches. This housing is damn heavy. Of course,
your valve body has allready
been removed. Losen and remove the Adjusting and locknut off the rear servo
arm. Take a small screwdriver
and tap out the Servo arm pin (from the inside out...look for the small
access hole). It comes out VERY
easily. Make sure you hold the arm while taking out the pin in order to hold
all the parts in place.
I just let the square arm that engages the band fall out and re-inserted the
pin. REmove the large snap ring that retains the servo piston/spring
assembly. Remove the small snapring on the servo spring/piston assembly
and change to the firmer spring and also install the new bushing. REinstall
this assembly into the servo
bore. This is a pain in the ass. Use a bottle jack as a press to keep the
piston assembly seated as you re-install the large servo piston assembly
retainer (Snapring). Be carefull not to scar the servo bore!!!!!
Make sure you clean the gasket(extension housing) before re-installing the
housing. Once you get ready to re-align and slide the extension housing
forward.....slide in the drive shaft into the yolk in wiggle to
aid in the re-alignment of the output shaft on the 4th gear planetary. Once
you get this, just put everything else back together.

I hope this helped. Be very patient. It took me two evenings to do this. I'm
slow....but then again, I took
my tranny apart three times to get it right! USE THE WHITE PR SPRING NOT THE
BLUE. You'll over rev your
motor...

Stan
dmagnum@mail.netside.com