Re: Magna Stroke

From: JT McBride (James.McBride@GDEsystems.COM)
Date: Fri Aug 08 1997 - 16:46:27 EDT

In case anyone missed my message to Kuk, I'd suggested a bore and stroke
job that wound up with a 356 cid displacement [an .030 overbore, with a
MP P4529713 forged crank]. Kuk thinks that's a bit overboard price-wise
(the crank alone is $959).

Anyway, he suggested getting a stock 360 engine, and doing some mild
porting. Despite the expense, I'm still thinking of doing the extrude
hone on everything the gases have to pass. It would be nice to know
for sure though - are the heads, intake, and exhaust manifolds the
same for the 318 and the 360 Magnum engines? I think so - in which
case, I could get mine reworked, and decide later what lower end to
fit them on...

Kuk also said to stick with the stock stall torque converter. Too late.
When AAMCO rebuilt my tranny, they put in a TCM (TCI?) heavy duty
rebuilt. I think it raises the stall by about 200 rpm, maybe more.
I don't really understand why a higher stall converter would be bad,
maybe you can explain that a bit more Kuk.

On getting the tranny to survive the mistreatment the engine could
deliver easily with half again as much torque, what do you folks
think of the TransGo kit - it's supposed to add much improved fluid
flow to the OD section - and does anyone know what it costs?

As for superchargers - I consider them a serious hit to reliability,
and while it would help with low end torque - just how badly do I
want to break my tranny? If I wanted to go high-tech, I'd more
likely fit twin turbos to the stock exhaust manifolds with a wastegate
that would ensure only a pound or two above sea level atmospheric --
that way I could climb to my heart's content, even at 14,000 ft in
the Colorado Rockies. Oh - intercooled, too.

Anyone know whether the Vortec SC kit adds supplemental fuel injection,
a new computer to replace the SBEC, or whether the MP computer can
actually sense and meter fuel for manifold pressures greater than 1 atm?

I ask so many questions...

Jim

'93 4x4 CC V8