Re: dual exhaust vs cat back exhaust system (summary of everyone)

From: Rob Robinson (u4d6r6mh@coastalnet.com)
Date: Fri Aug 08 1997 - 23:07:40 EDT

I have heard both sides of this discussion on single vs. dual exhaust. I
believe that both are equally effective if designed properly. I looked
under my fathers Mustang GT and saw a nice dual system. Then I looked
under his new Z-28 and saw a 3" single to a muffler with two outlets. Both
ran equally well and plenty of power. They even sounded alike!!! Heck,
the 315 HP Firehawk has a single setup, even though they have cutouts for
duals. (by the way, my dad traded the Mustang for the Camaro).

I believe that a well designed single system on a Dakota (even if you split
it at the muffler) will be a WHOLE LOT easier to maintain and live with
(remember that most states are getting stricter laws).

On the flip, if two pipes make you happy, go for it. Remember though that
you may have to sell or trade that truck one day, and it will be torture to
put things back so another state can inspect it.

My best suggestion is a set of shorty headers (I saw a nice set of
Stainless somewhere), stainless 3" crossover to a high flow 3" cat to a) 3"
freeflow muffler and tailpipe with nice tip or b) 3" inlet muffler with
dual 2.5" exit and pipes exiting where you like.

The only thing I would do differently would be to have a hitch installed
BEFORE I took it to the muffler shop so that I would have room for the
pipes! (I didn't think about hitches until I had my duals.)

Oh, on a side note, does anyone have a hidden hitch with the bumper delete
on a pre-97 dakota? Just wondering how they liked the set up and the tow
rating of the hidden hitch.

Just my observations. . . 8-D

Rob Robinson
1996 Dodge Dakota Sport-RED
"Magnum Force" stripe kit
 Short Bed Standard Cab
318-3.55
"Air by Meldrum"-(14" chrome air cleaner 3" K&N Element)
Rhino muffler-dual exit 3" chrome extentions with slash cut
9.9 @ 72mph 1/8 mile
Secretary-Crystal Coast Mopar Club
1968 Plymouth Barracuda Fastback