Re: Questions From A Newbie

From: Sean Meldrum (spm@c3net.net)
Date: Sun Aug 10 1997 - 15:29:40 EDT

At 03:17 PM 8/10/97 -0400, you wrote:
>Anyone know when the 360 will be available in the Dak? Will it only be
available in the R/T or can you get it in the standard cab RWD for '98? By
the way, what is the R/T specifically and when will it be available? Is
there a R/T Mopar Performance Kit (headers, exhaust, chip, etc.) out for
the '97 318 yet?

>Just wondering... If your biggest concern is acceleration, which would
you be better off with with the 318, the 4 speed auto or the 5 speed stick?
 Are quarter miles times quicker with one or the other? How about top end?

>Thanks for any and all info.
>
>Marc
>mrmopar@computer.net

        Welcome Newbie. ;^) R/T will be available in three forms: 2wd reg cab,
2wd Club cab, and 4wd Club cab. R/T is the only way to get the 360. Last
word is spring of '98 for the R/T (autos will be first, then sticks) but

don't hold your breath.

Headers and exhaust are available. Quite a few aftermarket exhausts too.
No JTEC (performance computer) yet. JET will be releasing two (Stage 1 for
stock and Stage 2 for modified) very soon buy I recently heard a couple of
bad stories about JET. You'd want to do some research first. K&N stock
replacement for the Ram now fits the '97 Dakota but there are much better
options.......heh, heh.

If you're looking for flat out acceleration order a 2wd reg cab, stripped,
with the 318, 5spd, and 3.90 gears. Don't forget the limited slip.....you
WILL need it. If you want more acceptable freeway manners go with the 3.55
gear. It'll still scoot plenty good.....believe me.

If you could get it to hook up the stick (I'm askin' for it here) should be
just marginally quicker simply due to the better first gear ratio. Top end
should be pretty close as I think the overdrive ratios are similar.