Re: Drag Analyzer

From: dmagnum@ccs.netside.com
Date: Tue Aug 19 1997 - 12:25:36 EDT

Sam Parthemer wrote:

> > From: dmagnum@ccs.netside.com
> > To: dakota@ait.fredonia.edu
> > Subject: Drag Analyzer
> > Date: Monday, August 18, 1997 5:34 PM
> >
> > Hey Sam,
> >
> > Answer these questions for me and I'll plug 'em in.
> >
> > 1. Your weight
> 220#
> > 2. Stall speed if an auto or state manual with gear ratio's
> Manual... what ratios? All of them?
>
> > 3. what performance parts have you used if any?
> MP SBEC, K&N FIPK
> > 4. axle ratio
> 3.90
> > 5. Tire size
> Figure 215-75-15's (that was on my truck during the dyno)
> then figure 255-60-15's (what I have now)
> > 6. size of exhaust at tailpipe, Are you using Headers?
> 3" CAT out, 3" muffler, 3" pipe, and DT headers
>
> > I'll put in your stock cam specs (adv dur 250 and 194 @.050, .432 lift)
> This is
> > what Mopar magnum Hotline said.
> >
> > Stan
> > dmagnum@mail.netside.com
> >

> Sam '95 SLT

OK Sam....Sorry I didn't get back to you yesterday. Watched TV and passed out.
For your reference. 95 Dakota 5 speed specs (per Mopar Magnum Hotline)
1st 4.016
2nd 2.318
3rd 1.401
4th 1.100
5th 0.729

I entered in everthing you gave me as close as possible, heres what it said
at 75 degrees, 75% humidity motor warm, Traction is marginal leaving the lights at
3000 rpm.

236.88 HP
1/4 mile in 15.58 @ 87.5 MPH

MOTOR HOT:
212.12 HP
1/4 mile in 15.80 @ 86.4 MPH

As you can see, Temperature will make these motors swing. I noticed when my motor
is hot, I will slow down almost 3 tenths than when it is warm.

This analyzer says my truck should run a 14.80 when the motor is cold. Also, 15.51
when it is HOT. I ran last week a 15.084 when the motor was warm or I could touch the
intake but not for more than a second. Its pretty close but it will not take in
consideration a performance engine controller or the type of header you may have.
It will not accept some of the gearing entries In autos or manuals that it doesn't
agree with even thought you know that the entry you made is in fact correct.

This software is a guideline for tuning and determining your dial in time only. Not
as the Bible of All Gearheads. Plus, when nobody is paying attention at work, where
I am now, I play with it on my laptop just to see what I can cost effectively
improve. Want to make your truck faster, TRACTION, TRACTION, TRACTION, SHEDDING
WEIGHT AND KEEPING THE MOTOR COOL BEFORE A PASS. Oh, tire size didn't effect HP but
will effect ET and MPH due to traction increase. 255/60R15 is almost the same OD as
your stock tire. You may consider a 295/50R15 BFG Street Radial like I had. Its' 1/2
smaller than stock.

Stan
dmagnum@mail.netside.com