Underdriving the alternator

From: Steve.Knickerbocker@SEMATECH.Org
Date: Tue Aug 19 1997 - 21:07:30 EDT

     I recall talking with some racer types on the "benefits" of racing
     without an alternator. The consensus was that the miniscule hp gained
     by this was outweighted by the hp lost due to ignition system
     inefficiencies. This kinda applies to underdriving the alternator.
     It was mentioned it took 7hp to create 20A out of the older, and less
     efficient, Chrysler alternator. Now 20A is a lot of juice and I doubt
     that 7 hp is all that noticable, all due respects to the MBD. I
     suspect that a majority of the improvements noticed is more due to
     underdriving the waterpump and fan assembly. In regards to the lack
     of power above 4500 rpm. Most of this is due to the heavy valvetrain
     the Dakota has. Hydraulic roller lifters are not light and they take
     there toll on the springs ability to control the valvetrain. I have
     converted more than one roller cammed engine back to flat tappets and
     the improvement in upper rpm performance was well worth the effort and
     expense. The only problem I see is that the Magnum engines were
     roller from the get go and all the aftermarket cams are rollers as
     well. You can't run the older LA style cams without some fairly major
     modifications. Might be easier to convert to a solid roller lifter
     and adjustable valvetrain. Just some thoughts.

     Thunderstruck...