Re: CD/Cassette combo from Dodge...

From: James Babcock (james.a.babcock@adn.alcatel.com)
Date: Thu Aug 21 1997 - 10:08:01 EDT

Matthew Brandes wrote:

> At 10:50 PM 8/20/97 -0600, you wrote:
> >Just curious, does anybody have the Infinity CD/Cassette player combo from
> >Dodge? How do they like it (or not), and do they consider it worth the
> >money, or prefer an aftermarket stereo?

For about $180 I put a 50w Sanyo cassette player in my dash with JBLs
behind the stock panels in the front. It sounds great, and it's as loud
as I would ever want in such a small space. I bought the stuff from
Crutchfield and they supplied a face plate and wiring adapters for the
stock hookups. The face plate did look a little out of place at first
and the knobs stand out a little far from the dash compared to the stock
unit, but I have gotten used to it. So far in over 2 years, no problems
with it.

Unfortunately I had to do some rewiring during installation since the
early Daks have a screwy wiring harness to support a plain AM radio
in addition to the stereo. I don't worry about CDs in the car. There's
too much background noise to worry about the small amount of hiss from
a cassette, and I copy the CDs on my home system for use in the car.
Usually the low noise blank cassettes from Maxell work great for the car.

Just my $.02.

Jim
'87 V6 auto 4x4

--