dakota shift kits

From: E. Frank Ball III (frankb@cougar.sr.hp.com)
Date: Thu Aug 21 1997 - 12:44:00 EDT

} From: "Randy E. Bowman" <r.bowman@cvce.com>
} Subject: Shift Kits
}
} I talked to my newfound mopar mechanic (previously worked for cc) now has
} own shop, i talked to him about sure grip, shift kits, etc.
}
} He has a 92 Dak 4x4 v8: He recently did the sure grip install and will
} probably do mine, said it took about 6 hours to get it just right and
} recommended a new bolt kit as well as putting new bearings at that time,
} but he did not recommend the shift kit saying that the clutches, bands,
} etc. cant handle it (too weak) that the tranny life would be very much
} shortened. Just wanted some other opinions on this. I hate the stock
} shift and would like to fix, but dont want to hurt the tranny life in the
} process.
}
} opinions????????

The guy is full of it. Shift kits make the clutches last much longer
because they aren't slipping so long when it shifts. Bands are just
another type of clutch, so the same things goes. I took a class at the
local JC on rebuilting automatic transmissions. They guy who teaches it
has 15+ years experience in one of the two shops in town I would trust.
And he used to rebuild them for stock car racing (local grassroots dirt
track). He likes to make mild changes to all the transmissions he
rebuilds to make them shift firmer (fewer warranty failures) and really
recommends shift kits, especially for towing. He rebuilt a friends
trans in his big old Crysler so he could tow a huge sailboat down to
Mexico. He wrote "rebuilt for towing" on the invoice, and explained
that it would shift hard. You didn't try to sip coffee when driving
that car. I rebuilt a friends C6 in the class and as I was putting it
back together he kept reaching over and grabbing springs and saying "you
don't need these" and tossing them accross the room. We left out every
third spring in the clutch packs and the weaker spring in the
acumulators, both changes make it shift a little firmer. The same as a
mild shift kit, but cheaper, but only if you have the whole transmission
apart.

Frank Ball 1UR-M frankb@sr.hp.com (707) 794-4168 work
Hewlett Packard (707) 794-3038 fax (707) 538-3693 home
1212 Valley House Drive Kawi KDX200, Yamaha XT350 YZF600R Seca 750
Rohnert Park CA 94928-4999 '95 Dakota SLT Club Cab V8 5-Speed 2WD