Re: No A/C; Was: Which payload option to buy?

From: Dick Campagna (campagna@nothinbut.net)
Date: Fri Sep 05 1997 - 14:39:51 EDT

For folks wondering about the gentleman's lack of A/C in his Dak: My wife
and I were in Phoenix last year when it was 110 degrees with 5% humidity.
We were in our white '89 4-door Integra w/dark tinted windows and flip-up
sunroof. We ended up driving with all windows and sunroof open, rather
than with the A/C on, because the A/C didn't give us that humidity-reducing
comfort that we get when driving in humid NJ. It's so dry in the Phoenix
area, that many homes use evaporative coolers (*swamp coolers*) instead of
A/C. Those coolers are really nothing much more than humidifiers that put
moisture into the air, and you get the cooling effect from that.
Evaporative coolers were available for cars years ago (you hung'em in the
window) for use in these low-humidity conditions, but I think they're no
longer available. The bottom line is that, IMHO, I was glad I was driving
a white/4-door(all windows open wide)/flip-up sunroof car, instead of a
dark/rear-windows-don't-open/no sunroof vehicle in Phoenix. Besides, the
speed limit on the open highway is 75MPH!!! Gotta love it!