Re: no A/C in PHX (85 mph speedos)

From: Scott Vieth (svieth@ameritech.net)
Date: Sun Sep 07 1997 - 05:18:52 EDT

John Emery posted:

> As far as the local speed limits go, the "in-town" highways are posted at
> 55, but are travelled by most at 70; while the "out-of-town" highways are
> posted at 75, and I thank Detroit for not using the 85MPH speedometers
> anymore :-)

The reason that Dakotas don't have 85 mph speedos is because they were tested
in *Detroit*. :^) :^)

The traffic in Detroit is either moving at 25 mph (during
rush-hour) or something close to "ramming speed!". As David R and Sean P
Meldrum can attest, the speed limit on hwy 696 is "as fast as your vehicle can
go and not flip over or smack into the walls".

I was driving on 696 a few weeks ago on the way back from the airport when I
decided to "get on it" and cover some ground in the left lane. I shifted into
fourth and romped on it. I got out into the left lane and hit the clutch to
shift into fifth. As the engine noise died down, I could hear a strange wind
sound that I don't normally hear. I took a quick glance at the speedo and I
was above 90 mph. I wasn't even watching the speedo, just driving by the sound
of the engine. I usually don't cruise at 90 mph so the sound of the wind was
something different (much louder).

Anyway, I hit fifth gear and took off. Even at 90mph, you're not moving that
much faster than the rest of traffic on 696.

Of course, I'm not advocating that anyone should ever exceed the posted speed
limits. That would be dangerous and against the law. ;^)

I love this truck! :^)

=Scott Vieth
'68 Camaro RS, 327/PG
'97 Dakota Sport 4x4 Club Cab, Magnum V8/5-spd, Gibson cat-back, FIPK-clone