Re: Engine Vibration

From: Mike Crumley (a0020124@airmail.net)
Date: Thu Sep 11 1997 - 13:32:49 EDT

At 10:46 AM 9/11/97 -0500, you wrote:
>(I posted this in the Newsgroup a couple of months ago but received little
>response, so I'm reposting here...)
>
>I am about to schedule my second maintenance on my '97 Dak V8. When I
>first got the truck I noticed what I think is an engine vibration between
>66-68 mph. It's easily felt in steering wheel and gas pedal and you can
>kinda hear it w/o the radio on. When I took it in for it's first
>maintenance they thought it was due to an out of balance tire. So they
>balanced, rotated, and aligned the tires. Did not get rid of the vibration
>in the least bit.
>
>Does anyone have any ideas where this vibration could be originating from?
>I'd like to give the Service Manager some ideas on where to look. In my
>mind, something in the engine is out of balance or it could be something in
>the transmission.
>
>Matthew Brandes
>
>'97 Dak CC, Auto, V8

I experienced similar symptoms with a 1985 Ramcharger (318 V-8) I had
before I got my Dakota. At certain highway speeds there would be a
vibration that seemed to be coming from the engine. Slow down or speed up
and it would go away. Turned out that the main pulley (the one connected to
the crank that drives the accessories) had three of the six bolts missing
and the remaining three loosened up over time. I discovered what the
problem was when the three remaining bolts all failed at 70mph and the
pulley departed for parts unknown!! Pretty unusual deal and I've never
heard of anyone having the same thing happen but it's something to check.

--
Mike Crumley     a0020124@airmail.net