Front tow hooks; was: Splash Guard question

From: Ned Worcester (nworcest@crossnet.org)
Date: Thu Sep 11 1997 - 19:07:08 EDT

-- [ From: Ned Worcester * EMC.Ver #2.5.02 ] --

Realizing that you are talking 97's . . . On my '95 I have put in a
crossmember between the frame horn's behind the bumper, Off of that I have
2 aftermarket tow hooks, the black 10,000 lb'ers that you can get anywhere;
I also have 2 2" receivers to mount a winch from. I never liked the single
receiver mount winches, they put too much torque in one place. My brush-
guard/push-bar is also on receivers so that I can remove it when I don't
want all that stuff up there. I just swap them around as needed.

I've got the same arrangement on the rear to use the winch to the rear, and
to store the brush-guard when I've got the winch mounted on the front. The
front and rear receiver also give me the option of having a really secure
anchor point to use while winching from the opposite end. The only hitch
(pun intended) is that the receiver mounted winch really impacts the
approach/departure angles. I kept the winch tray and mount low so that The
tailgate would not hit the winch if it;s on the rear. I didn't want a nice
winch shaped imprint if some yahoo opened the gate.

I use the truck for Search and Rescue, so that I had to really thing out the
setup which would work best for me.