A500 rebuild

From: Jarrod Pilone (AM14@chrysler.com)
Date: Fri Sep 12 1997 - 14:39:36 EDT

Richard:

Been there - Done that.

My '89 2wd had 150000 plus miles on it when it "gave up the ghost". Cost me
$700.00 for parts and a rebuild kit. I did the rebuild myself, so saved
around $200.00 for that I guess. No unsual noises or anything like that. It
wouldn't shift into OD sometimes and shifted eratticly at times but nothing
that would indicate the kinds of problems I encountered upon opening up the
OD. I first changed the fluid/filter and this helped for a couple of days,
then the same thing, so I pulled it out and disassembled the tranny. I almost
didn't pull the OD unit apart since the tranny needed clutches, but my better
judgement ruled(for once in my life)and because of the trash in the tranny, I
decided to go ahead since it was already out and seperated from the tranny.
Shocked is mild to what I felt. Replaced the direct clutch hub,
sun/planetary/annulus assy and the overunning clutch/hub assy and the two (2)
thrust bearings. Bad design in the thrust bearings IMHO.

I just received a TransGo shift kit for a A518 I have, and I noticed that they
recommend drilling extra lubrication holes in the OD mainshaft in the area of
the thrush bearings. (maybe a correction for bad design for longevity) I also
verified that the OD units for the '89 A500 and the '95 A518 are identical.
This was surprizing to me since the A518 is a much stronger built unit than
the A500. (727 vs 904). If it is good for one then it should be good for both
- right? Anyway, as soon as I get the A518 going, I intend to pull the A500
back out and do this mod to the OD in it also.

When I do this I'll let the list know how it turned out.

WORKING TO BE THE BEST
Azie Magnusson_07910 Huntsville, Al.
PROFS ID (AM14):E-Mail AM14@Chrysler.com
Tie Line (835-2578):Outside (205)464-2578