RE: dakota Digest for 14 Sep 1997

From: Gary Ludwick (72155.316@compuserve.com)
Date: Tue Sep 16 1997 - 17:20:33 EDT

-----Original Message-----
From: INTERNET:dakota@ait.fredonia.edu =

Sent: Monday, September 15, 1997 12:08 AM
To: 72155,316]
Subject: Synthetic Oil

 Thought that post might raise some discussion.
I am always fascinated with what people read into something, or totally
ignore...depending on their particular bias.
To MYKLL - read the post again...this wasn't a "test" it was a roundtabl=
discussion among some very skilled mechanics, tech experts and Mercedes
factory personnel relating their experiences with synthetic
oils...including one person who runs an oil analysis business.
No bad info....just years and years of cumulative experience.
They found NO evidence of any decrease in wear on engine parts. =

Particularly telling, at least to me, was that the oil analyst - with
thousands of customers on which to draw, could find no difference in the
amount wear debris suspended in the oils...conventional or synthetic. =

One comment that I didn't mention in the first post, was that some users
with hydraulic valve lifters experienced extremely bad valve lift clatter=

after the car had sat a week without running. Every lifter had completel=
de-pumped (the oil had completely drained back to the sump). Maybe that=
's
due to all the molecules being aligned in one direction ( obviously in th=
is
case, down :-). =

To whoever asked about an oil company rep not being present - again, this=

was a roundtable discussion at the National Mercedes convention, and just=

one of many topics covered during the multi-hour session.
Again, I pass the info on because, like everyone else in this group, I te=
nd
to trust personal observations over oil company hype.
And, since I write advertising copy for a living...I can say that! :-)

Gary Ludwick]
97 Dakota SLT Club Cab; K&N, Gibson 3"