Re: Vibration

From: Jack Snodgrass (dakota@cybermail.net)
Date: Mon Sep 22 1997 - 10:04:51 EDT

On Sun, 21 Sep 1997 21:52:02 -0400, kmiller wrote:

>Hey all:
>
>I don't know if anybody else had a problem like this but any comments or
>suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Let me explain:
>
>I got a bad vibration at higher speeds last night. If I was on the
>throttle it would pretty much vibrate the whole dash and just sounds like
>glrrrrrrrrrrrrrr. As soon as I let off of it, it goes away. Here is what
>I thought of:
>
>U-joints - replaced this morning. Helped the problem but I still get the
>vibe around 75 mph and up.
>
>Transmission - was gonna be the next step
>
>Rear-end - Don't wanna, but I will yank it if I have to
>
>Transmission Mount - doubt it, just a thought
>
>Tires - Doesn't really seem like it is possible because as soon as I let
>off it kinda goes away, but I got new tires coming Tuesday for the new
>wheels just because I need new tires anyway.
>
>Thanks for any info.
>
>Scott Miller
>89 Dodge Dakota Shelby

    I had a bent drive shaft ( no idea how I bent it ) that caused a pretty
bad vibration at high speeds. It was a long, long time ago. I don't
recall if the vibration was in the steering wheel or if it was in the rear
of the car. This was on a rear wheel drive 88 olds. I think that you
should put this in your list of things to check. Replacing a drive shaft
is a LOT cheaper then replacing the transmission.