Re: Re: Cleaning Aluminum Wheels??

From: Michael Clark (mclark@wt.net)
Date: Mon Sep 22 1997 - 17:57:40 EDT

LJacobs wrote:
> >At 08:16 AM 9/22/97 -0500, you wrote:
> >>Howdy all,
> >>
> >>I have a set of 15" Progressive polished aluminum wheels on my 95 Dakota.
> >The
> >>previous owner must have used a really strong tire cleaner or drove
> >through some
> >>puddles with chemicals in them, or something because the wheels have got
> >spots and
> >>runs all over them.
> >>
> >>I tried a combination of Eagle One products to clean them.

I've got the progressives on my MarkIII. Mine are NOT clearcoated and
are a pain to keep looking good. These were neglected for about 2 1/2
years before I started driving it. By that time they were fairly dull.
I've had good luck with the Eagle One you mentioned, just make sure it
is for the non clearcoat machined aluminum (assuming yours are not clear
coated like mine). This stuff foams up and eats away stuff, it reacts
with the aluminum some way, and will burn your hands because it is
acidic. You have to rinse it ALL off to or it will leave streaks that
look like stains or corrosion. Maybe this is what's on yours, but they
will come out with another cleaning. I got the one that is clearcoat
safe once and it was like squirting water on them..... But it sounds
like yours are more than dirty. Anyone know how difficult (expensive)
it is to have a set of wheels polished and maybe clearcoated?

--
Michael Clark            mike@snakebite.com
     '93 MarkIII 4X2 V-8 SWB RC auto