'97 Dakota Gas Milage

From: DRD892@aol.com
Date: Sun Sep 28 1997 - 08:15:17 EDT

'97 5.2 ClubCab, Loaded, 3.92, Automatic (built), Tonneau Cover,
FABM, Flowmaster, K&N, 11,487 Miles (255R70X15 Tires) TrailMaster Shocks.
I run Marathon 93 Octane fuel.
When the Dakota was new I recorded 14.2 to 14.4 MPG several times.
As mileage climbed and modifications made, the mileage improved.
Currently I record 15.0 to 16.8 MPG depending on traffic conditions
and how I use the power (throttle). I average about 15.9 MPG. I check
each tank. (Fill it to the gas cap) These figures are my best estimate.
Figuring the mileage requires some math. The installation of the tires
mentioned above causes the odometer and speedometer to read slow.
I have checked the relationship of actual mileage traveled to the
odometer/speedometer readings on three 600 mile trips. The results
have always been the same. The truck reads 5% slow. (For every 100 miles
actual the odometer reads 95 miles) The speed on these trips varied
considerably, but the end result was the same.
Hope this helps....

David R.
Sterling Heights
Michigan