Re: Re: R-12 A/C '93 Dakota dilemma follow-up (long)

From: Daniel Gregory (barracuda426@rocketmail.com)
Date: Fri Oct 03 1997 - 00:56:08 EDT

---Bruce Aaron Hefner <gt9742a@prism.gatech.edu> wrote:

> > > Subject: DML: R-12 A/C '93 Dakota dilemma follow-up (long)
> > > Date: Wednesday, October 01, 1997 02:21 PM
> > >
> > > Thanks to all the folks who responded to my original post
regarding the
> > > A/C system failure on my 1993 Dakota. To follow up, I received
a call
> > > from a representative of the Chrysler Corporation informing me
that they
> > > are refunding me the full amount of $147.68. The following
includes my
> > > original post and the successful letter that I sent to Chrysler
> > Corporation
> > > requesting at least some measure of customer satisfaction.
> > >
> > > Enjoy!
> > >
> > > Greg Smith <gmsmith@uiuc.edu>
> > > 1993 Dodge Dakota LE Club Cab 4x2 V-8

> > > Here is my original post requesting feedback regarding a leak in
the A/C
> > > system of my 1993 Dodge Dakota.

When I
> > turned
> > cycling
> > there
I didn't
June.
> > When
> > department
Since I
High Tech

> > A/C
> > my
Since they
Chrysler

> > as
> > Central
> > dye

Chicago
> > zone
refrigerant would
> > be
> > an
Chrysler
> > before

Please let
> > me

> > > Here is the letter that I sent to Chrysler Corporation at their
request
> > > that netted me the customer satisfaction that I was looking for.
> > >

> > > Greg Smith
> > > P.O. Box 144
> > > Sidney, IL 61877-0144
> > > Home - (217)688-2531
> > > Work - (217)333-7856
> > >

> > > September 17, 1997
> > >
> > > Chrysler Corporation
> > > P.O. Box 21-8004
> > > Auburn Hills, MI 48321
> > >
> > > RE: File # 4211027
> > > Vehicle - 1993 Dodge Dakota LE Club Cab 4x2 5.2L
> > > VIN - 1B7GL23Y4PS249354 Mileage - 54,100 miles
> > > Purchased New - 08/31/93
> > > Dealership - Shelby Motors, Inc., Champaign, IL
> > >
> > > Dear Chrysler Corporation,
> > >
> > > At the request of Josh at the National Customer Relations Office
during
> > our
> > > telephone conversation of 09/03/97, I am forwarding the original
invoice
> > > printouts from my last four visits to Shelby Motors, Inc.
concerning a
> > leak
> > > in the air conditioning system of my 1993 Dodge Dakota that I
purchased
> > new
> > > in August, 1993. In an effort to obtain at least some measure of
> > customer
> > > satisfaction, I am requesting a refund of $122.68. I had to pay
$147.68
> > for
> > > service that should, in my opinion, be covered under the
Chrysler Service
> > > Contract that I purchased with my Dakota at the time of
delivery. The
> > amount
> > > of $122.68 that I am requesting is simply the amount of the
covered
> > service
> > > less the required $25.00 deductible per the service contract.
This
> > amount
> > > that I am requesting does not include all the time and hassle I
have
> > invested
> > > in trying to get this matter resolved with Shelby Motors.
> > >
> > > The air conditioning on my Dakota quit working earlier this
summer. I
> > took
> > > it to Shelby Motors on 07/02/97 to have it repaired. I
explained that I
> > have
> > > a Chrysler Service Contract that covers all components of the
A/C system
> > at
> > > the time of drop off. When I picked up my Dakota that afternoon
I was
> > > distressed that I had to pay $147.68 instead of the $25.00
deductible
> > that I
> > > had anticipated. I was told that the A/C system had leaked out
all it's
> > R-12
> > > freon and that they recharged the system with the full 40 ounces
of R-12
> > but
> > > then could not find any leaks with their leak detector. (See
invoice no.
> > > DOCS22740) I was told by the service manager, Scott Johnson, that
> > although
> > > there is obviously a leak somewhere, since they could not locate
it, I
> > would
> > > have to pay for the A/C recharge. I was also told to "keep an
eye on it"
> > and
> > > if the leak shows up within "a reasonable amount of time",
Shelby's would
> > > refund my money less the $25.00 deductible required of the
service
> > contract.
> > >
> > > After performing a closer visual inspection and noticing a small
seepage
> > of
> > > A/C system oil at the junction where the A/C lines attach to the
> > expansion
> > > valve near the firewall, I returned to Shelby Motors on 07/10/97
to point
> > out
> > > this potential leak and request that they retest the system for
leaks.
> > When
> > > I had previously mentioned that the service contract that I had
purchased
> > > covers all components of the A/C system, including seals and
gaskets,
> > Scott
> > > Johnson told me that I was wrong and that the contract only
covers major
> > > components. It was during this visit on 07/10/97 that I
provided Mr.
> > Johnson
> > > with a copy of my Chrysler Service Contract which clearly stated
that all
> > > seals, gaskets, hoses, etc. were covered items. His response
was that he
> > > wasn't familiar with all of Chrysler's service contracts.
Regarding the
> > > retest for leaks, I was told that although the oil seepage could
indicate
> > the
> > > location of the leak, their leak detector could not detect it
and they
> > would
> > > not replace the gasket at that junction. Again, I was told that
there
> > was
> > > obviously a leak in the A/C system, but they could not find it.
(See
> > invoice
> > > no. DOCS22927) It was at this time that I began to doubt the
> > > sensitivity/accuracy of their leak detector apparatus.
> > >
> > > After talking with the service managers and technicians at
several other
> > > Dodge and Chrysler dealerships, it became quite obvious that
there were
> > some
> > > serious inconsistencies in the diagnostic procedures between the
service
> > > departments of the other Chrysler Corporation dealerships and
those of
> > Shelby
> > > Motors. The majority of the other Chrysler service personnel
indicated
> > that
> > > they do not rely heavily on the accuracy of the leak detector
and that
> > the
> > > most effective and proven method of identifying a leak in an A/C
system
> > is to
> > > introduce dye into the system. Most of the service personnel I
spoke
> > with
> > > told me that they introduce the dye into the system at the time
that they
> > > recharge the system with freon anytime a leak is suspected.
When I asked
> > > these service managers and technicians how the dye would have to
be
> > > introduced into my A/C system, they all told me that the system
would be
> > > evacuated and the dye would be added to the freon when it was
put back
> > into
> > > the system through the normal service point. A few Dodge
dealership
> > service
> > > departments indicated that they don't even use the leak detector
because,
> > in
> > > their opinion, the dye is the only way to find a leak without
question.
> > > proceeded to ask Scott Johnson at Shelby Motors why they had not
> > introduced
> > > the dye to the system to find the leak. He stated that it was
not their
> > > normal operating procedure to use the dye and that he was
comfortable
> > with
> > > using their leak detector apparatus. I informed Mr. Johnson of
the
> > > procedures used at all the other Dodge dealership service
departments
> > that I
> > > had visited and then asked him if he would put the dye in my
system. He
> > told
> > > me that if I wanted the dye, they would put it in and that in
order to
> > > introduce the dye to the system, they would have to evacuate the
system
> > of
> > > the existing freon, disconnect a line, pour the dye into the end
of the
> > > disconnected line, replace a gasket, reconnect the line and
recharge the
> > > system with the freon. Again, I pointed out the inconsistency
between
> > > Shelby's procedure and that of all the other Dodge service
departments I
> > had
> > > spoken to. Mr. Johnson insisted that they have no way of
introducing the
> > dye
> > > to the system without removing a line and replacing a gasket.
At this
> > point
> > > I told him that I didn't care how they did it, I wanted the dye
put in
> > the
> > > system so that we can find the R-12 freon leak.
> > >
> > > On 07/30/97, Shelby Motors introduced the dye to the A/C system
on my
> > Dakota.
> > > (See invoice no. DOCS23593) I asked Scott Johnson if I could see
which
> > line
> > > was removed to add the dye and which gasket was going to be
replaced.
> > Citing
> > > their policy of non-employees in the service area, he would not
allow me
> > > witness the procedure. When my truck was finished, I was given
the
> > > aforementioned invoice showing that the dye had been added and a
gasket
> > > replaced and told to "keep an eye on it". I thanked Scott
Johnson for
> > adding
> > > the dye to the system and left still not knowing which line was
removed
> > > add the dye and which gasket was replaced.
> > >
> > > Due to cool outside temperatures and the fact that I don't drive
my
> > Dakota
> > > everyday, I didn't use the air conditioning much in the first
2-3 weeks
> > of
> > > August, 1997 and consequently didn't notice any leakage of dye
at any
> > > location on the A/C system. When I did finally drive my Dakota
on a very
> > hot
> > > and humid day and used the air conditioning to it's full
potential, I
> > lifted
> > > the hood to notice a leak of a bright orange oily substance
coming from
> > the
> > > junction of the hoses at the expansion valve. This is the same
location
> > > where the residual A/C system oil had seeped out previously. At
this
> > > discovery of the leaking dye, it appeared that the gasket at the
> > expansion
> > > valve junction has been allowing the freon to leak out when
under the
> > high
> > > pressures created by running the A/C on max on a very hot and
humid day
> > in
> > > stop and go traffic as well as on the highway as I had done the
day that
> > > discovered this leak. I made an appointment with Shelby Motors
to have
> > my
> > > A/C system repaired since the leak had now been located thanks
to the use
> > of
> > > the dye. I was also expecting a refund of $122.68 that I had
been
> > promised
> > > by Scott Johnson if and when a leak was found.
> > >
> > > When I dropped off my Dakota on the morning of 09/03/97, I
pointed out
> > the
> > > location of the leak at the expansion valve and reiterated that
this was
> > the
> > > exact same place that the leak was suspected due to the residual
A/C
> [...]
> > > afternoon I should receive the refund for the service that I had
to pay
> > for
> > > initially since it could now be claimed under my extended service
> > contract
> > > due to the fact that the leak had now apparently been located
and the
> > faulty
> > > gasket (covered component) could now be replaced. Upon picking
up my
> > Dakota,
> > > I was disappointed, but not really surprised, that Shelby Motors
was once
> > > again willing to send me away unhappy and unsatisfied. I was
told that
> > the
> > > junction of the hoses at the expansion valve was the location of
the
> > > disassembly to add the dye and that the gasket at this junction
was
> > replaced
> > > at that time. This was my first knowledge that the hoses were
removed at
> > the
> > > expansion valve and the gasket in question was the gasket
replaced when
> > the
> > > dye was added. I was told that the bolt at that junction was
loose and
> > was
> > > the cause of the leak. (See invoice no. DOCS24694) Shelby Motors
> > replaced
> > > the same gasket for a second time and Scott Johnson told me that
since
> > the
> > > bolt was loose and they didn't think that the gasket they had
replaced
> > was
> > > faulty that they couldn't bill the original job to my service
contract
> > and
> > > that they would not refund any of the money I had to spend
initially. I
> > have
> > > to wonder why then it says to "bill to service policy" in the
comments
> > > section of the aforementioned invoice. I asked Scott Johnson if
the
> > original
> > > gasket that they replaced at the expansion valve when they put
the dye in
> > > could have been the leak, especially since it was suspected due
to the
> > > residual oil seepage at that junction to begin with. I was told
that
> > since
> > > their leak detector didn't indicate a leak with the original
gasket that
> > > we'll never know if it was the problem and "to keep an eye on
it" and
> > "let us
> > > know if you have any problems". This was when I realized that
Shelby
> > Motors
> > > has no intentions on satisfying me as a customer. It is
unfortunate that
> > had
> > > I went to one of many other Chrysler Corporation service
departments, I
> > would
> > > not have to be appealing to your office for satisfaction.
> > >
> > > Please review my request for customer satisfaction carefully and
please
> > call
> > > either of the phone numbers listed on the letterhead of the
first page if
> > you
> > > have any questions. Your consideration and attention to this
matter is
> > > greatly appreciated.
> > >

> > > Sincerely,
> > >

> > > Greg Smith
> > >

> > Hey Greg, think you could write me a letter to get off of
> > work with pay for a week or two?? He he...
> >
> > They didn't have a leg to stand on, let alone kneel!!
> >
> > Way to go.
> >
> > Sam '95 SLT Dakota
> Go Greg,
> Good work, my only advice would be to never go back to Shelby
> Motors again, they have to have the worst service department I've
ever
> heard of.
>
> Bruce

     Greg, if ya want to get them back. Turn them into the Better
Business Bureau. The WILL do something. I live in Muhlenberg Co., KY,
and we got ripped off at an Autozone around here. It seems that they
had a light out on one of their testing equipment and weren't telling
customers. They were then having them trade in their "broken" parts
for new ones, when they weren't even broke. We turned them in and you
should have seen how nice they were to us when we returned. But
waitago!!!!

Dan