Re: Opting a vehicle

From: Dick Campagna (campagna@nothinbut.net)
Date: Sat Oct 04 1997 - 21:45:07 EDT

----------
> From: Rupert Horn <rupert.horn@ucop.edu>
> To: dakota-truck@buffnet.net
> Subject: DML: Opting a vehicle
> Date: Saturday, October 04, 1997 6:38 PM
>
> In reading the various articles regarding purchasing a new vehicle it
seems
> the emphasis is on negotiating a purchase price of the vehicle itself,
> i.e., as little as possible over "invoice".
> I have yet to see,read, or find anything dealing w/options.
> Does, or should, one expect to pay full MSRP, vice dealer
purchase/invoice
> cost?

Rupert - The issue of MSRP, invoice, etc., may well be not important. If
you're comparing one dealer against another (or many), the bottom line is
just that . . . the bottom line; regardless of how it's arrived at.
Knowing the dealer's cost for the vehicle, simply lets you know if the
lowest dealer is charging you too much, too. And if he is, what're you
gonna do about it if you've hit all the dealers in your area?
Unfortunately, while a dealer may say that your cost will be $100 or $200
over invoice, they screw you when they write up the bill of sale. Such
things as "Advertising charge," "Administrative costs," "Dealer's
newsletter," and "Gasoline" are just some of the add-ons that may find
their way onto the bill of sale. And, while these add-ons could
potentially add up to $500, the dealer can honestly say that they're
selling you the vehicle for $100 or $200 (or whatever) over dealer's cost.
Refer to www.kbb.com for pricing info.

Dick (& Geri) Campagna, Mt Laurel, NJ campagna@nothinbut.net
(Per favore, non mi rompere i coglioni. Grazie!)