5th Whl Towing; was Re: Toyota V8; was Re: Re: 1998 Dakota R/T

From: Dick Campagna (campagna@nothinbut.net)
Date: Thu Oct 09 1997 - 17:43:28 EDT

----------
> From: Bruce Aaron Hefner <gt9742a@prism.gatech.edu>
> To: dakota-truck@buffnet.net
> Subject: Re: Toyota V8; was Re: DML: Re: 1998 Dakota R/T
> Date: Thursday, October 09, 1997 11:45 AM
>

> > ----------
> > > From: Bruce Aaron Hefner <gt9742a@prism.gatech.edu>
> > > To: dakota-truck@buffnet.net
> > > Subject: Re: DML: Re: 1998 Dakota R/T
> > > Date: Wednesday, October 08, 1997 9:48 AM

Toyota

> > > Dick,
> > > Even without the other problems people have had with T-100's,
> > > consider this Toyota has never made a V8 before so without a doubt it
is
> > > going to have defects in it, not to mention a t-100 doesn't really
have
> > > enough weight to handle a 5th wheel, if you want to pull a fifth
wheel
> > > you should really consider a Ram, they have the power and the weight
> > > you need for a fifth wheel. Just my opinion
> > >
> > > Bruce
> >
> > Bruce - There are 5th wheels . . . and then there are 5th wheels. By
that,
> > I mean that they run in length from 16' to over 40'. And the one I
have
> > weighs approximately 3,800 pounds empty, with a 4,800 pound GVWR >
> (weight when fully loaded). This 4,800 pound weight is WELL within the
> > Dakota's 6,400 pound trailer-pulling capacity. To see the brand of
trailer I > > have (Shadow Cruiser), check www.shadowcruiser.com. I
guarantee that > > you've never seen any 5th wheel trailers as
aerodynamic as these. And > > mine is only 7' wide, rather than the
more common 8' width. I've spoken to > > quite a few guys who've pulled
5th wheel trailers with Dakotas that weren't > > as well-equipped as mine
will be, and they were very pleased with the Dak's
> > performance. By the way . . . Toyota has made a V8. It's called the
> > Lexus. Not a bad one, eh???
> >
> > Dick (& Geri) Campagna, Mt Laurel, NJ campagna@nothinbut.net
> > (Per favore, non mi rompere i coglioni. Grazie!)
> >
> You're right about the size of the 5th wheel, I was thinking of the big
> boys, and I have no doubt a Dakota could handle the one your talking
> about,

Bruce - No problem. I also had to educate a sales geek, who said that "A
Dakota can't pull a fifth-wheel trailer." Consider him newly educated. I
guess that's what I got for talking to a "car" sales geek instead of a
"truck" sales geek.

> but I still doubt a Toyota could handle it. I forgot about
> the Lexxus but there's a big difference between a V8 in a car and one for
> a truck,

What's the difference in the 305/350 V8s GM uses in their Camaro/Firebird
and their Chevy/GMC trucks? Not much, I'm sure. Same with the V8s Ford
uses in the Mustang and their pickups. Any difference is usually due to
"packaging" (i.e., exhaust system space), but such differences usually
result in minor HP/torque increase/decrease.

> if you take the engine straight out of a Lexxus and put it in a
> truck it isn't going to pull shit, because it is designed more for speed
> and doesn't have the low-end torque needed in a truck,

There's low-end torque, and there's low-end torque. A guy who has a
Cummins would laugh at you if you bragged that your Dak has a lot of
"low-end torque." I do agree, and should've mentioned, that an automatic
(with HD oil cooler) would make a better match for a low-torque engine
because of the torque-multiplication effect of the torque converter.

> and it will take a while for them to work the kinks out when they modify
the engine to put in a truck.

Pure conjecture on your part.

> There's also the thing that pulling a trailer usually is the
> easy part, it is stopping it and controlling it that are the hard part,
> and I still contend that even though A Dak would pull it fine, A ram with
> it's bigger size (And brakes) would be able to do those 2 things better.
>
> Bruce

Conjecture, also (have you pulled trailers?), since, while the Ram has
bigger brakes, it weighs more, so the brakes already have more to do. If a
larger vehicle will generally handle a trailer better, where do we draw the
line? Should I buy a Freightliner, because that'll do a better job than
the Dak or Ram? Of course not. Accepted practice in regards to towing a
trailer is to not exceed 75% of the truck's rated trailer-pulling capacity,
in order to allow a safety margin. Notice that my trailer's 4800 lb GVWR
(weight fully loaded) is exactly 75% of the Dak's 6,400 lb towing
capability (based on '97 Dak specs; I haven't checked '98 specs yet). And
Geri and I prefer driving a smaller vehicle (we own a Civic and an
Integra).

(P.S. - Did you check out www.shadowcruiser.com?)