Re: auto vs. 5 speed

From: Dick Campagna (campagna@nothinbut.net)
Date: Thu Oct 09 1997 - 17:58:42 EDT

----------
> From: Mori4@aol.com
> To: dakota-truck@buffnet.net
> Subject: DML: auto vs. 5 speed
> Date: Thursday, October 09, 1997 5:01 PM
>
> shifting cars in the past ('87 Shelby GLHS). For the last few years I've
been
> havin' a blast bracket racing my Dak and do believe that its consistency
is
> due 'cause it's an auto. That means, less wheelspin off the launch,
keeping
> the same shift point from round to round and no missed shifts. It's my
> opinion that with a v8 powered Dak at the drags with wheelspin that is
such a
> factor with street radials that an auto outweighs its advantages over the
> manual 5 spd.
>
> Just my .02 cents

> Shane Baker
> '89 Shelby Dak

Shane - I agree that an auto tranny will/should inherently give more
consistent times when drag racing. But . . . where's the skill? And the
fun? With an auto, you've got just one chance to show your skill . . . on
the starting line, with technique and reaction time. With a stick, you get
a chance to show it each time you shift. There just ain't nothing like
goin' through the gears, the more the better!! But, hey, if you want an
auto . . . have at it. (P.S. - Some of my best friends drive slushboxes
:-).)

Dick (& Geri) Campagna, Mt Laurel, NJ campagna@nothinbut.net
(Per favore, non mi rompere i coglioni. Grazie!)