RE: Auto vs stick vs driver

From: Steve.Knickerbocker@sematech.org
Date: Tue Oct 14 1997 - 19:50:44 EDT

Ok, you get around big cam/carb combo's with a higher stall converter.
I had a 64 Chrysler with a 727 that was push startable. It requires a rear pump
to do this. Since then advances in many areas have led to the removal of the
rear pump because it was/is rarely needed. If a jump won't start you you got
some problems. The only time a push start really comes in handy is if your
starter is dead. I'll agree that little 4 cylinders, like my wife's Neon,
really benefit from a stick but they perform just fine with an automatic, which
she has.

Thunderstruck...

Yepper very nicely put, now lets see whose turn is it now. Oh well someone
will add a bit of wisdom..

Bill

OK,

I'll take a stab.

How do you get around a bog with radical cams/carbs? (maybe not a problem with s
tump puller torque engines,but with smaller engines with higher revs an auto doe
s not let you get through the
"flat spot" gracefully.)

How does one push start an auto with a weak battery or busted starter motor? :-)

I know, it's still diff stroke for diff folks, but I've managed to push start se
veral vehicles over the
years by myself saving tow truck $$ when the unexpected happened. Kinda nice opt
ion when you're
out in the boonies by yourself.

-Bob T.