Re: *snip* Firewood

From: Rob Agnew (ragnew@islandnet.com)
Date: Tue Oct 14 1997 - 20:15:47 EDT

> Funny thing, the ride was GREAT. Very smooth. Why is it when
>I have my motorcycle on the rear hitch (class IV receiver- rack mounts to
>that)
>I have a very jolting ride?? The bike weighs in at 305# full tank o-gas,
>and the rack
>is about 65#... I guess 400# (or so) of tongue weight puts more strain on
>the
>stock leaf springs than 1400-2000# of payload in the bed.
>
> Sam '95 SLT

My guess is that the weight of the wood is evenly distrbuted over the front
of the rear wheels, also a heavy payload will tend to smooth out the ride.
 My 3/4 ton used to rattle my teeth on gravel if it was empty, but ran
smooth as a car when fully loaded.

I bet the bike would ride much better if you put it in the front of the
box... the dirt bikers around here do that. Leave the hitch mounting for
your bicycle.

Rob Agnew
ragnew@islandnet.com

Victoria, B.C.