No sticks in sight...

From: Pat Buthmann (patb@mindless.com)
Date: Tue Oct 14 1997 - 22:19:20 EDT

Formula 1 racers do use a sequential shifter, which is 'manual clutchless',
however, it IS STILL a manual transmission. The Ferrari 355 ($7000 option)
can include the same sequential shifter, with an automatic mode for it.
 However, F1 racers do their own shifting, making them still a manual
transmission. It doesn't matter if it's a stick, or levers on a steering
wheel, it's STILL a manual transmission. My 97 Dak's a 5spd, but that's
just my preference. I don't drag it, simply because it's a 4x4, and is
inherently not suited to 1/4 mile. However, it does go off-road quite a
bit, and I find the 5spd much more conducive to managing the rock-climbing,
mud bogging off-road stuff.

        As far as towing stuff goes, if I was driving a Ram with a Cummins Turbo
Diesel, towing a 15,000 lb horse trailer I'd (and have) prefer the
automatic. It's just more comfortable. In fact when I was looking at
Dakota's, I was also looking at full-size Ram's. I wanted an Auto in the
Ram, though I was adamant about having a 5spd in the Dakota. Go figure...

Pat Buthmann

Proud owner of a 97 Dakota, 5.2 L V8, 4x4 Club Cab, 5spd, Black, All-black
and nothing but Black!