Re: Auto vs stick vs driver

From: Bruce Aaron Hefner (gt9742a@prism.gatech.edu)
Date: Wed Oct 15 1997 - 10:23:49 EDT

> ------ =_NextPart_000_01BCD8E7.6A60B920
>

> Ok, you get around big cam/carb combo's with a higher stall converter.
> I had a 64 Chrysler with a 727 that was push startable. It requires a rear pump
> to do this. Since then advances in many areas have led to the removal of the
> rear pump because it was/is rarely needed. If a jump won't start you you got
> some problems. The only time a push start really comes in handy is if your
> starter is dead. I'll agree that little 4 cylinders, like my wife's Neon,
> really benefit from a stick but they perform just fine with an automatic, which
> she has.
>
> Thunderstruck...
> >>>>>>>>>>

> Yeah, I had a '66 Corvair PG you could push start, but the speed needed to be higher
> than a stick to get it to kick over. Like you said, they don't make 'em like that these
> days, so that option is gone.
>
> Ever see someone's car that died when they tried to jump across an intersection
> in the rain and couldn't restart? A stick can use its starter motor to get out of harms
> way in those precarious situations. Ya never know... Gotta love the the flexablility! :-)
>

> -Bob T.

Yeah, but if you keep your truck in good running condition you don't have
that problem, I always take good care of my vehicle, and I've never had
one die on me while trying to cross an intersection, or anytime I was in
motion for that matter. As far as starting one, I've never had one you
couldn't jump off, had one where the starter went bad, but it would still
jump off till I had a chance to put a new starter on it. With a little
TLC with your truck, neither of these problems is a problem. My 2 cents

Bruce