Re: No sticks in sight!

From: Tony Mastres (mastres@id.ucsb.edu)
Date: Wed Oct 15 1997 - 12:04:45 EDT

Klaus Wilkens wrote

>Who says you need a clutch to shift a stick? F1 car transmissions are
>closer to standards than they are automatics. They use a clutch for
>starting and stopping.but the computer controls the engine speed during
>shifting. Listen to a F1 car when it downshifts, you can hear the engine
>computer match the gear speeds.
>
>Automatics in the Dakotas are hydraulicly coupled, hydraulicly shifted
>(excet OD), 3 speed planetary transmissions with a solenoid operated
>overdrive. the technology for this tranny dates back to the 50s and do
>not even remotely resemble a $100,000+ F1 transmision.
>
>When is the last time you saw a competitve car in a raod race like
>Watkins Glen, Mid Ohio, etc with an automatic similar to those sold in
>the USA to consumers ?
>
>KW

Hold the phone Klaus, I was responding to Carl Vidos's comments in my post.
Specifically the quote "for ultimate control a stick is the only way to go".
I wanted to point out that in racing they use a tranny that is not really
similar to a conventional 5-speed or an auto but more akin to a
motorcycle's sequential transmission. I never said they were autos or even
similar to them. The only time I mention autos was in the last sentence
reference to NASCAR.

Lets all make sure we read the original posts before we start commenting on
someones response.

PS I believe the technology of the clutch/lever actuated transmission is
much older than that of hydraulically actuated shifters.

+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+
+ +
+ Tony Mastres, Photographer, Instructional Development +
+ +
+ University of California @ Santa Barbara +
+ +
+ +