RE: Auto vs 5-spd; was Re: 1998 Dakota R/T (question

From: Mike Muise (C-Muise@mail.dec.com)
Date: Thu Oct 16 1997 - 14:46:18 EDT

>Yes, and I find them irritating if you have to stop on
>the side of a hill, especially if someone pulls up right
>behind your rear bumper. An auto will just sit there until
> you hit the gas don't even have to hold brake, while you
> have to worry about rollback with a stick

I usually only hear this complaint from new and/or infrequent stick
drivers (no offense intended, just my experience). After some time,
you just don't notice or worry about rollback, any more than you worry
about "roll-forward" in an auto (when left in drive with brake disengaged).

By far, the most common complaint about sticks from more seasoned
drivers is in stop-and-go traffic (or, on vehicles without 4-low, any
movement at very low speeds) -- it's hard on the clutch and tedious for
the driver.

I've thought about installing a small-ish electric motor to handle the
stop-and-go (similar to the electric reverse on some "Hondabago" touring
cycles) -- would eliminate the tedium, and maybe reduce the chance of an
overheat, too -- anyone ever seen anything like this?

cheers,
mike