Re: Technical Questions

From: JT McBride (James.McBride@GDEsystems.COM)
Date: Fri Oct 17 1997 - 13:41:47 EDT

cntrysngr@YadTel.Net wrote:
> like my rear main seal has decided to spring a leak (lucky me!). I was
> wondering if the transmission and flywheel has to be removed to replace this
> seal. By the way, this is a '92 318 Dakota, which I have a service manual
> for, but, it doesn't specify if the trans. has to be removed or not.

Short answer I believe is Yes, you will have to drop the tranny and pull the
engine. Well, at least I would!

You might be able to get at the seal in the vehicle, but it's going to be
a lot harder to clean things up so it won't leak again, and you'll be
working in real tight quarters, whereas once the engine's out, you can
put it on a stand and get at everything.

Besides, it's a good excuse to get some minor porting work done, check things
out, and if you crack the heads, scrape the carbon off the pistons. And if
one seal is bad after six years, chances are pretty good another is not far
behind. So tear it down, and consider it preventive maintenance.

Steve K or others -- anything else that ought to be replaced? Rings? Maybe
resurface the valve seats?

How many miles on this engine now?

How's a PM overhaul compare to a factory short block in cost?

Jim
'93 4x4 CC V8 -- probably not far behind you.