Re: rev-limiter; what's the big deal?

From: JT McBride (James.McBride@GDEsystems.COM)
Date: Fri Oct 17 1997 - 13:28:54 EDT

>someone can explain it to me. Why are you guys so concerned with
>raising the rev limiter. I just don't see what the benifit is. I can
>that on my dyno graph the hp peaks at around 4850 or 4900 so if you keep
>raising the rpm after that you are making less and less power. And also

It doesn't take much in the way of gas flow improvements to move the peak
hp curve up a bit, and the stock redline is already pretty close to the
power peak. That just means you'll be looking to change the rev limit as
soon as you make any engine mods.

As to what the benefit is -- gas pumps such as the internal combustion
engine produce more specific output as more gas flows through them. Given
that only a certain percentage of the gas gets through the combustion
chamber in each cycle, the way to move more gas is to spin the motor faster
and faster so you get more cycles. Of course, there are still limits.

This is why, under rules that restrict displacement, every form of auto
racing involves engines spinning at incredible speeds (getting close to
20,000 rpm in F1).

Hope this helps,

Jim