Re: transmission on 97 dak

From: Rob Robinson (u4d6r6mh@coastalnet.com)
Date: Sat Oct 18 1997 - 17:08:29 EDT

>I got a 97 dakota club cab(sport) v-6. I want to make many mod's, but
>worried about transmission. How much power can I add before transmission
>becomes too stressed. I don't have the money to change it up now, so will
>it be alright?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Ryan
>Carnall-/ryphish@voicenet.com

Are we not running the same tranny with our V8's that you are running with
your V6? I don't think you are going to have any problems unless you
really ABUSE the trans with smokey burnouts, powerbreaking or any other
major stress. I really don't think that you are add more than 75
horsepower without spending some serious dough, so start those simple mods
now!

We have been recommending,
1. New air box with K&N, simple and noticable HP change.
2. New muffler and/or exhaust. Most have put in a Flowmaster or
equivalant. This does raise the exhaust tone a little, but the Butt-dyno
can really feel the difference.
3. New computer (when available). This gives around 20hp with the 95 and
below models. One is being designed right now for the 96 and 97 V8, don't
know about the V6.
4. Tires with more traction and/or width. Got to get the power to the ground.
5. I am assuming you already have a sure-grip unit. If not, what's the
point of more HP?
6. Headers. Check with Mopar Performance or Magnum Performance. Also
check with Doug Thorley's. He supplied to Mopar Performance, but was
dropped because he was having problems keeping up with the demand. Nice
part though!
7. Alot of people like the MSD 6A for their Dakota. With nice wires, it
seems to make the truck run much better.

Any other suggestions out there?

Rob Robinson
96 Sport V8 2WD 3.55-RED
Shortbed, Standard Cab