Re: RE: 98 Dakota's

From: Bruce Aaron Hefner (gt9742a@prism.gatech.edu)
Date: Mon Oct 20 1997 - 14:30:50 EDT

> At 11:44 PM 10/18/97 -0400, Bruce Aaron Hefner wrote:
>
> (Regarding purchasing a truck in Canada)
>
> >Well, I must say, that's a pretty shitty thing for Chrysler to do. Is
> >there no way to go around it, like give you the money, and let you go get
> >what we want or anything like that?
> >
> >Bruce
>
> Well, as some are probably aware, I recently moved from the US to Canada,
> and decided to bring my Dakota with me. Since I was relocating, I didn't
> have to pay import duty on any of my posessions that I already had in the US
> (including the Dak). I did have to show my Utah registration and copy of my
> title to prove that I didn't just buy it to move it across the border. I
> also had to pay for a special safety inspection to make sure it met Canadian
> safety standards, and I had to have daytime running lights added. I also
> found out that Chrysler Canada won't honor my warranty unless I transfer it
> over to them, for some unknown fee. They would also have required me to rip
> out my speedometer and odometer and replace them with the metric units.
> Since I only had about 2,000 miles left on the warranty, I decided to forget
> about it.
>
> In your case, since you're thinking about purchasing (or having someone
> purchase for you) a truck and bring it right across the border, you're will
> be paying import duty on it. The US customs people take themselves awfully
> seriously. And then there's going to be the certification hassle. If you
> look at your door, there's a little USDOT sticker there that states it
> complies with all US safety standards. Canadian trucks have one for Canada,
> which doesn't mean shit to any US govt. agency. You'll have to go through
> the process of certifying that it meets the US standards. It's idiotic, I
> know, because the standards are pretty close to identical, but that's how
> the bureaucracy works. Then there's the warranty question, since Chrysler
> US and Chrysler Canada are apparently totally separate companies. As I
> understand it, Chrysler Canada licenses the trademarks and pays for the
> priveledge of supplying Canada with vehicles from Chrysler US.
>
> In short, I was only able to justify bringing my truck with me because I
> really like it and want to hang on to it. If not for the emotional
> attachment, I would have sold it in Utah, rented a U-Haul to move up here,
> and purchased another vehicle here. I've managed to get it certified,
> registered and insured here, but I still don't know what hassles I'm going
> to find if I ever try to sell it here. The only way I could recommend
> purchasing a vehicle from another country to bring it in to your own is if
> it's a specialty vehicle that you just can't get at home.
>
> That's probably not what you wanted to hear, but after the headaches I went
> through I can't recommend anyone else do the same. And I had it very easy
> since I was moving myself at the same time.
>
> Hope you can find a good deal in the US.

> [...]

I should have known the bureacracy of our Gov't would make that to
difficult to be feasible, why do they always have to make things more
difficult than they should be, do they get some kind of sick sadistic
pleasure out of making regular citizens jump through ridiculous and
unneeded hoops, oh well I guess all gov't's are like that though so I
guess we just have to live with it.

Bruce