Re: lowering the rear

From: T & J (starwolf@bewellnet.com)
Date: Wed Oct 22 1997 - 21:42:52 EDT

  Re: lowering the rear!

           starwolf@bewellnet.com

>to lower the rearend,which is what I'm going to do, you first have
to determind if the DAK is a 2x4 or a 4x4 and the differences are: 2x4's
have the axles over( on top of ) the springs. Whereas the 4x4's have the
axle under the springs so they can get the raised heigth. So to lower your
truck all you have to decide on is how many inches you want to go. Most all
bigger retail auto parts distributors have from 1"(inch ) all the way up to
4 to 6" blocks. My personal opinion would to NOT go over 3", because of the
chance that the axle might twist and roll because of the axle is now away
from the actual support and strength of the springs. when you sellect the
blocks make sure they have a formed or drilled hole on one side and a
formed or pressed-in pin on the opposite side. these drilled and pinned
areas are for the axle and spring alinements. your other question deals
with blocks and hangers: when you get this setup, it should come as a kit.
the blocks are the pieces that give you the ability to either raise or
lower the truck so many inches. the hangers are the u-shaped bolt
attachment that holds the axle to the springs. I hope this helps and be
careful, a lot of people don't realize how heavy axle assemblies are: for
the DAKS they are around 250 lbs.(v-8) model.

>'95 SLT 2x4+3.55 with V-8,dual x-haust,ARE molded tonneau cover with
wing
      getting parts traced on internet to lower (spindles) 2" and raise HP
to around(if not over) 300HP.