Re: Electronic Interference

From: JT McBride (James.McBride@GDEsystems.COM)
Date: Thu Oct 23 1997 - 01:07:15 EDT

>I have a Realistic CD (pretty cheap, a hand-me-down) and a fiberglass
>antenna.

Concentrate on filtering the power, and make sure you have a good ground.

You can't really tune a fiberglass stick, except with a matching network.
You ought to check for an SWR (Standing Wave Ratio) greater than 1.7 or so.
[A 1:1 ratio is ideal, 1:2.0 means half your power is just bouncing around
between your CB and the antenna.] Get a better antenna if it's much worse.

Another sanity check on your ignition health is to tune your AM radio
between stations with the engine off, and get a nice static, then start
the engine. If the ignition noise is much much louder than the static was,
you've got sparks leaping around outside, while they ought to be dancing
inside the combustion chambers.

Jim