Re: AT Throttle Cable Adjustment

From: JT McBride (James.McBride@GDEsystems.COM)
Date: Thu Oct 23 1997 - 18:29:05 EDT

>> The factory spec for the spacing between the idle stop and the throttle
>> body lever as you readjust the cable housing is 2.8-3.0 mm (0.11-0.12 in).

>Does that spec change as mods are done to the engine? Or does it stay

The FSM doesn't say anything about compensating for modifications. Item 11
in the Mopar Muscle article describes changing the shift points by just
pulling on the cable -- not very repeatable. If I have this figured out
right, when they say to pull the housing out further [harder, delayed
shifts], that would translate to a smaller gap so the trans doesn't think
you've got the throttle open as wide as you do. Vice versa, the "smooth
as an Imperial" shifts from moving the cable forward translate to a
wider gap, so the trans shifts at smaller throttle openings. The cable
is under tension from the trans throttle control lever spring, so it's
sorta backwards -- almost as though the throttle is 'pushing' the cable
into the housing. Yup, pushing on ropes!

Jim