Re: Tire width in snow

From: Bruce Aaron Hefner (gt9742a@prism.gatech.edu)
Date: Fri Oct 24 1997 - 12:52:05 EDT

> Last winter we had a 100 year storm which left 3 feet of snow on the roads
> overnight (saw the first snow plow one week later). After spending the
> first day digging out, I was able to get moving on the second day (by then
> it was raining), by digging a clear patch on the street, moving forward
> until the front of the truck lifted on the the skid pan and the front
> wheels started to come off the ground ... then backed up and went through
> the process again. Lucky for me I only had 50 yards to go to a travelled
> secondary street.
>
> I don't think wide tires would have made any difference .... the big
> problem in heavy snow is 'high centering' on the undercarriage. Ground
> clearance is the solution...I guess this could be accomplished with taller
> tires. The guys with the full size 4x4's were able to get going a bit
> easier because they have more ground clearance. One gent down the street
> thought he was doing the neighbourhood a favour by running his Chev 4x4
> with oversize tires up and down the street. I skidded down his furrows on
> the skid pans and into the driveway. The street had become a car trap ...
> people would head down the street (in cars), just past my house then high
> center on the big Chev's furrows in front of my neighbour's house ... don't
> remember how many of them we dug out.
>
> Lots of fun...hope it doesn't happen again for another 100 years,
> previously snowfall like this was 1916.
>

> Rob Agnew
> ragnew@islandnet.com
>
> Victoria, B.C.
> Canada

Getting off the tire debate, isn't cool to play in the snow in your truck
I love it, it's just so much fun (Except when you get stuck and have to
dig yourself out, which I haven't had to do yet, thankfully.). I remember
2 years ago, we had about a foot of snow and i had gone to the store in
the Ram, and was coming back a different way and I noticed an especially
thick patch of snow on the road, i couldn't resist so I stopped right in
the middle of the patch, took it out of 4X and floored it just to see how
it would do, all it did was spin the one tire for a split second then the
limited slip kicked in and she took off no problem, I was surprised at how
well it did, it was a blast, of course I wouldn't do that now, don't want
to have fun at risk of messing the truck up. Later-

Bruce