Re: P/S cooler, carseats

From: John D. Emery (johnemery@mindspring.com)
Date: Sat Oct 25 1997 - 16:04:37 EDT

>My wife and I are considering purchasing a new or used truck ('97 or '98)
>to be used as a commuting vehicle/mulch hauler/work around the house truck.
> One of our concerns is reliability as we have a 1990 Plymouth Grand Voyage
>now on its 3rd transmission (120K miles) and Dodge is not at the top in my
>wife's eyes. We also have 3 kids (4,2, and 1 month) so any comments on the
>club cab room (car seats) would be appreciated.
>
>Thanks
>Dave Fauth
>davefaut@mnsinc.com

As far as the mini van 4 spd AUTO trannys, that is a well documented
problem, and has been mostly resolved/fixed. I own a 95, so I can not
comment on the "newer" Dak, but have no problems from the truck (except for
the too friendly Ryder that did some body work for me :-( ). I have a 8
month old who rides in a car seat on the passenger side in the back, and
there are no problems. I ride with the seat all the way back, with the
seat leaning back at almost 45 degrees; so there is not the room for her
behind my seat.

As far as being a hauler, I haul 1200 - 1800# in the bed on a regular
basis, and have found the V6 to be fine. Granted, there are no hills here.

Good luck in your search.

>Subject: DML: Snow? Yeah, right.
>
>Here in south Florida snow isn't a concern, in fact I am confident
>my Dakota will never see one flake. Heat is a different story, though
>and when I got it I made sure it had the tow package with extra engine
>cooling. I have the extra transmission cooler, but was surprised to see
>I do not have any cooling fins on the power steering line. Also on engine
>oil cooler, and I am considering adding one next year. For the extra cost,
>Chrysler could have done both of these for me. Oh, well.
>
>Enjoy your snow- I have had enough to last me!
>-

I ordered the HD cooling package, and I DO have cooling fins on my PS
lines. Double check from under the truck at the drivers side of the PS
pump. I did not notice it for quite awhile.

As far as snow, I left it and only slightly miss it. If I could have snow
without the frigid cold, I would take it back. It rains here in Phoenix so
infrequently that it is almost as much fun driving in the rain; doughnuts,
fishtails, etc. I grew up and learned to drive (a stick) in Pittsburgh,
and had the time of my life every time it snowed.

As you can see, I am attached to this list and will continue to read and
post - even though I have that "other" vehicle calling my name. :-)

John Emery
1973 Jeep CJ-5 I-6 4 spd (frame up project)
1995 Dakota CC Sport 4x2 V-6 5 spd 3.55 SG 4wABS LT235/75R15 A/Ts
Phoenix, AZ (and no A/C)