Re: Tire width in snow

From: Ned Worcester (nworcest@crossnet.org)
Date: Mon Nov 03 1997 - 16:39:46 EST

-- [ From: Ned Worcester * EMC.Ver #2.5.02 ] --

SnowSnowSnowSnowSnow . . . Etc, you get the point.

Lets see what muck I can stir up.

Wide vs Narrow. I do search and rescue in the mountain passes during the
winter. I keep a set of 4 narrow, studded tires ready in the garage to swap
out if I am going to the passes. There is very rarely a time that the snow
will support the weight of the truck, even with wide tires. So the desire
is to be able to down through the snow to the solid surface, thus the
narrower tire.

I.ve gotten pretty fast at swapping the non-studded for the studded. I do
it outside, in front of the garage. I can get all 4 done within 12-18
minutes; not counting the next 30 minutes trying to get feeling back in my
hands.

Ned Worcester; Seattle, great northwest, Washington
'95 SLT CC 4X4 318