Re: Stock Fog Lights :-(

From: JT McBride (James.McBride@GDEsystems.COM)
Date: Mon Nov 03 1997 - 20:36:08 EST

>nasty fog with the new Dakota. (About a 20ft visibility) Just for grins I
>kicked on the fog lights and kicked off the headlights.... worthless is the
>only way I can think of describing it. They must be there for looks and
>not functionality. I don't expect to be able to drive by them...but I

>Has anyone replaced the stock lamps with an aftermarket set?? We don't

I bought Bosch Pilot fog lamps for my SAAB, then transferred them to the
Dak when it became obvious that it would be my ski vehicle in the future.

I've driven with just the fog and running lights (need the rear lights!)
many times, in both pea soup fog, and white-out snow conditions.

The Pilot casts a very wide, flat beam, which gives you a decent chance
of seeing what's on the side of the road. They're not much use as driving
lights, so I'll likely add a pencil-beam for high speed night driving
sometime.

I don't think the lamps would fit in the stock fog light cutout in the
air dam. I didn't have the sport air dam, and I emasculated the original
air dam -- doesn't matter, I would have torn it off offroad anyway. I've
actually cracked the plastic housings now, but they took alot of abuse.
Downside of the plastic is that it limits the wattage you can run. The
lenses are glass, which is probably why the pattern is still good.

Best of all, I think the price was $55 when I got mine. As opposed to
about $200 for the equivalent Hellas. Eight years, 150,000 miles...
I'll buy another set.

Jim