Re: Motor mounts

From: JT McBride (James.McBride@GDEsystems.COM)
Date: Thu Nov 13 1997 - 12:55:24 EST

>My sons father-in-law owns a 1993 V8 4X4 Dakota. While I was nosing
>around looking under the hood and all, I noticed the motor mounts were
>located near mid-engine. When did this start??? All the A blocks I've
>ever been around have the motor mounts in the very front of the engine,
>high up on the block. Reason I ask is this. I was planning on
>installing an older version 360 in the '89 I own that currently has a

I won't swear to it, but I think the block is the same. The bolt-on
motor mounts are the weird item there. As I understand it, the Dakota
frame was designed for the V6, and the V6 designed for the Dakota. The
3.9l V6 has the last two cylinders lopped off, so the motor mount
castings line up with the frame. With the longer block of the V8, the
brackets mate the block casting with the same frame location.

You have bigger problems than you anticipate.

When Shelby squeezed a V8 into the Dakota, he had to strip the accessories
drive to a minimum, and use electric fans. Still a tight squeeze. When
the factory offered the TBI V8 in '91, they designed a new nose, which
the Magnum Dakotas got too, that gives you 3 or 4 more inches up front.
I understand the sheet metal will bolt up to earlier fenders... You're
still looking at new hood, grill, bumpers etc.

The 300 hp 360 Magnum crate motor runs $3200, and has the dual-plane
manifold that will fit under the hood. I don't think you'd be complaining
about "underpowered" after a Magnum injection!

Good luck,

Jim