Re: Full Time 4 Wheel Drive

From: Jason & Norah (janor@ican.net)
Date: Mon Nov 17 1997 - 07:36:04 EST

At 02:43 PM 11/15/97 -0500, you wrote:
>>Dakota is not available with full time 4 wheel drive. If you use your part
>>time 4 wheel drive on dry pavement you can damage your drive line. Full
>>time 4 wheel drives have an additional differential between the front and
>>rear wheels to prevent this. With part time 4 wheel drive, tire slippage
>>prevents the drive line from binding... ie. front and rear wheels are
>>locked together by the driveline and turn at the same speed.
>>

>>Rob Agnew
>>ragnew@islandnet.com
>>
>>Victoria, B.C.
>>Canada
>>
>Thanks, I had heard something about that. I wonder if they will ever offer
>it in full-time?
>John
>'98 cc sport 4x4

This brings up a question that's been in the back of my mind for a while.
The Dakota doesn't have full-time 4 wheel drive, but it's an option on the
Durango. As far as I know, the the Durango is the same as the Dakota
underneath. If the full-time 4 wheel drive transfer case will fit into a
Durango, does that mean it would fit into a Dakota? Would it be possible to
swap one into a Dakota? Maybe even my 95 (V6, 5 speed)?

Of course, even if it can be done, something tells me I won't be seriously
considering it unless I happen to win that damned lottery. Oh, well.

Jason