Re: Speed sensor

From: JT McBride (James.McBride@GDEsystems.COM)
Date: Tue Nov 18 1997 - 11:48:43 EST

>>I recieved an estimate and was informed that in addition to the trany
>>work I woold need a new "speed sensor".

>Nope!! Not even a little bit. If your Cruise control was working, and
>the primary tranny was shifting OK, and the speedo was working, then
>they must have screwed it up when removing the tranny. I'd not pay for

Err, the speed sensors are only good for about 80-100K miles - they have
an insulating washer that is (I think purposely) designed to wear out in
that timeframe. The dealer may just be doing preventive maintenance.

I think it's a $20 part -- in the greater scheme of things, such as the
overhaul of a tranny, I'd maybe ask if they'd throw it in.

It's a really good idea to replace the O2 sensor after the tranny has
been out -- they fail in about the same time frame, and it's likely to
have been damaged (fragile porcelain pieces). Computer-controlled engines
are only as good as the data the sensors deliver.

Jim
"Dakota - The Right Caliber of Dodge Magnum Force"