Re: CB Radio in a DAK

From: JT McBride (James.McBride@GDEsystems.COM)
Date: Wed Nov 19 1997 - 19:53:08 EST

>Where's the best place to mount a CB radio in a (1995) Dakota (SLT)?

I don't keep the CB in the truck on a regular basis, since they're a favorite
target for thieves near the border here. I have bucket seats, so I wired up
a plug, and just wedge the CB between the driver's seat and center armrest.

I have a mag mount K40 antenna I plop at the center of the cab. Great
reception, and it gets out pretty well.

>Also, does anyone have recommendations on a good CB radio (reasonably

Most of Radio Shack's CBs -- at least their older ones -- are re-labled
Uniden products. They're better made than Cobra. Don't buy anything made
in China.

If you're looking for a regular 40-channel CB, and not a SSB-equipped unit,
I would check swap meets, garage sales, and thrifty ads for a used one.
Chances are really good it'll be serviceable. Older Cobras, Midland, or
Uniden are fine radios.

A great place to learn more, and get good prices, is at one of the super-
size truck stops like a Flying-J. A brief Web search reveals a CrownFleet
at 1808 Peters Creek Rd, and another at 2131 Franklin Rd. You'll generally
find the big truck stops several miles outside of big cities, and esp.
near intersections of an Interstate and another major highway.

Oh - Wilson makes very good antennas too. For less money (and significantly
less performance) a Firestick is okay. You don't need much to keep a
convoy together offroad -- it's when you try to get help that you want to
be able to reach out and touch the world.

See the archives about SWR tuning.

Jim

--
"Dakota - The Right Caliber of Dodge Magnum Force"